Wednesday, February 5, 2014

War Art

                War Art or Wars as recorded by me By artist

As you have probably guessed,  art and WWII are my favorite subjects  for personal studies. I draw quite a lot of pictures of soldiers and equipment for my own reference. One technique I like to use is the “quick and line” style. This style was used by war correspondents and artists during WWII while in the field. I like this style first because it looks realistic, and second it perfectly captures the feel and look of a hurriedly drawn sketch, perhaps because the correspondent is under fire! I use this technique mostly when I am outside. It’s good to quickly record nature for my journal and any battle that we happen to be reenacting. Actually, most of these pictures are inspired by our battles. So here are some pictures I have drawn, some more detailed than others ,but still the same.
This is the beginning of a study I did of Paratroopers and their equipment.

Here is the same picture as the above one, but fully detailed and colored.
This one is the original that inspired me to do the two above. The face looks a lot like my Grandfather when he was in the Air Force,except he was  not a paratrooper.



This picture illustrates some of the equipment that a paratrooper (or as shown here a trooper of the 82 Airborne)would carry before being dropped into Normandy 1944. The cricket and Thompson were the most fun to draw and shade.



1 comment: